2012/10/04

Trip to the Philippines! Hong Kong to the Philippines.

The original weekend plan was this: go to Hong Kong, meet my girlfriend there; we would both apply for our work visas. A day after getting our work visas, we would return to China and live happily ever after.

After living in China for more than a second, you realize that things never really go as planned. On Wednesday I rushed to the foreign affairs office to apply for my visa a second time (I did it the previous week just to be told my documents were outdated). This time I was told I was missing a document. I assured the girl I had everything and showed her all my documents.

In despair I went to the nearest place with Wi-Fi (my only way of communication in Hong Kong) only to receive a message that my girlfriend would have to remain in the Philippines. Double ouch. Talked to my boss. Found out that I did in fact have the correct documents but I showed the girl the wrong ones. Yay. I could not return to the office because it was already closed, so I would have to remain in Hong Kong an extra day.

Me having done a lot of traveling for a visa just to be rejected started feeling bad for myself but feeling much worse for my girlfriend who had been rejected no less than 5 times at this point (and who had to do much more traveling than me in order to get rejected). I asked my boss if I could go to the Philippines to visit my girlfriend since I had the next week off for the Chinese national holiday. He said probably not. Then probably. Then stuff happened and I am in the Philippines! Woot!

I spent the next couple days in Hong Kong arranging plane tickets for the Philippines and trying to find some clothes I could wear for the next week (being smart and a light packer I decided all I needed for an overnight trip was two pairs of shorts and two t-shirts. I had no idea my overnight trip would turn out to be a week and a half long).

On Friday night I went to the airport. Spent the night there, then flew out Saturday morning. After waiting for about an hour to go through immigration, I was finally able to walk on Philippine soil (or at least asphalt).

After meeting up with my girlfriend, we took a jeepney, then took the 5 hour bus ride to her house. Between nap sessions in the bus, I was able to look at the countryside and be thrilled looking at a country that had green everywhere and little to no pollution to block my view.

Yay for the Philippines!



1 comment:

  1. Yay for the Philippines and yay for getting to see Loida! I hope you guys have a wonderful time together and have fun meeting her family. You're bringing here to Utah next, right? :)

    ReplyDelete