2012/07/12

I got a new job! Two more years in China!

Well; the title of this post says it all. I just signed a new contract and have begun work with a new job. China owns me for another two years.

Here is some history into that decision:

A few months ago there was a new girl that started coming to church with us. She had just moved from Singapore and is working here as an English teacher. I didn't think much of it at the time because I wasn't planning on staying in China anyhow, but as time progressed and as she talked more and more about her job, I realized that she had a great job that I would really enjoy. She works with a company from Singapore called Smart Learners and teaches English to first graders.

I have always thought I would enjoy teaching elementary school and Asian kids are totally the cutest, so I thought that this would be a fun job. After talking to her about the job, I decided that I would at least apply for it to see if I was interested and if I could even get the job.

The interview process was interesting enough. I was told when and where to meet. Google maps told me it would take two hours to get there, so I went a bit earlier than that just to be on the safe side. Turns out that the place only took about an hour to get to. I decided to just chill nearby and read a book for about an hour. When it came time for me to go in for the interview, I realized that none of the buildings were actually numbered and I really didn't know which building I was supposed to go into. So I called the guy who would be interviewing me only to find out that he gave me the wrong number. Yikes.

Luckily, I eventually did make it to the interview. I was really quite impressed with everything. The company seemed to have organization and structure that I have missed since being here in China. Up until now, I have been teaching at a university and have found that very little of what goes on seems to make sense; disorganization is something that you learn to deal with very quick.

The interview went well; I even did a part of it in Chinese, which really didn't go that well, but apparently was good enough. A few weeks after the interview, I was asked to go to the school to teach a trial lesson to the students. I was instructed that the students only knew very basic English and that I would be teaching a lesson on the words "go straight," "turn left," and "turn right." I must admit that I was quite nervous because I was given 20 minutes to teach just a few words. I figured they must not know how to say much, so I planned very basic things for my lesson.

When I walked into the classroom I was happy to see all the excited faces. I was nervous to teach, but was to observe the actual teacher for 20 minutes before it would be my turn. When the teacher taught, he didn't use a single word of Chinese. Nothing. Not a word. Not only that, but he put up paragraphs for the students to read and they were reading it without a problem. Most of the students could read better than some of my college students. I was blown away. Their English was great! Now the problem was that I had planned a lesson for a class with a much more basic level. The lesson went well enough and I had a great time! I had been so used to teaching university students that it became odd for me when the kids would raise their hands to answer a question, or offer to volunteer to help me (in fact, I usually got too many students to volunteer). The kids were incredibly cute and I was smiling the entire time. It was great to see how good their English is and how eager they were to participate.

Well; earlier this week, I signed the contract. This means that....

  • I am going to be staying in China for two more years. The company does however offer to help fly me home twice a year. 
  • I will be teaching less hours, but earning about four times as much. My salary will be a decent salary (possibly even comparable to the starting salary of elementary teachers in Utah, but I am not really sure how much they make). 
  • I get to teach kids! I will be teaching the second grade. I found out that I will actually end up teaching the class I did the trial teaching for.
  • The company I work for will provide me with free housing, phone costs and insurance. This means that the only thing I am really going to be paying for is food. Food is cheap. I will be able to save up or invest almost all of the money I make here.
  • I will be having a roommate from Singapore. Hopefully that should help out my Chinese significantly. Just found out he is 54 years old. Interesting. It has been a long time since I was the younger roommate (long time as in I don't know if I have ever been the younger roommate). 
While I am very much missing home and family and mountains and not pollution, I am happy and excited to stay in China a bit longer. I have been having a wonderful time here and been meeting great people. China is full of great people and I am happy that I will now be able to work with kids. I have already started doing some projects with the kids and have really enjoyed it. 

I am excited for my new job.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome job! Glad things are going well. Good luck being the younger roommate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! Congrats!
    And I'm sure you will be saving a lot more money than if you were working as a teacher in Utah;)
    Good changes for everyone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found your blog by chance. Could you share more details about this interesting job? How is the accommodation like? Which school are u teaching at in china?

    I'm interested in moving to china too and teaching English seems good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ming. I would love to give you some more details. You can email me directly if you would like. My Gmail username is mckayc.

    The accommodations at my place are really nice actually. I will probably post about it later. Let me know what kind of job you are looking for and where and I can try to help you out.

    ReplyDelete