2012/08/11

Going to Hong Kong for a visa


View of Hong Kong island from Kowloon.


Recently me and Loida had to go to Hong Kong to get tourist visas for China. Not really sure why... but our company paid for it, so I didn't really mind. Loida had to go back home to the Philippines so she was just there for the first day.

The first day was a long one. We left our apartments about 5:00 in the morning and took a taxi to a hotel with a shuttle bus. We ended up taking another taxi to the airport because the shuttle didn't leave for another 30 minutes. From the Zhengzhou airport we flew to Shenzhen, China (very pleasant flight I must add. One of the nicest I have had in a long while). From the Shenzhen airport we took a bus to the border. Shenzhen seemed like a completely different place to me from the rest of China. I hardly saw any scooters. The air was really clear too. It was so weird.

Once at the border, we walked across and went through customs, then took the metro in Hong Kong. Our goal was getting to church, so we took the metro to the closest station to it. Church was wonderful even though we were an hour late. It just so happened that the time we went at was when a Filipino branch met. Convenient for Loida. She was able to talk to others in Tagalog. As for me; besides the missionaries, I was the only guy there, and the only non-Filipino. Kind of weird. Travel to the other end of China and feel like I am in the Philippines.

Going up the elevator for church. The building had chapels on the 1st, 2nd and 6th floors.
The church building was wonderful. We were told that it was the second most expensive building the LDS church has built (the conference center being the most expensive). Property cost I am quite sure is the reason it is so expensive. It was a wonderful building to be in! At times I could pretend I was in Utah because the design and interior is very similar to all the other church buildings being built.

After church, we stayed to eat dinner with the rest of the branch. We had a great time talking to people and were just happy to be in an actual church building.

Not sure what a bunch of Cantonese speaking Elders were doing with a handful of Filipino ladies for dinner.... perhaps missionary work has changed some. 


This was a member missionary who really didn't want to be dancing. If it looks like he is on the verge of tears, I think that is because he probably was.
After dinner, we walked around to see some of Hong Kong (up to this point, we really had not seen anything since we went straight to church). Hong Kong was so nice. People seemed very friendly, and most people spoke English quite well. The city was relatively clean. The non-smoking sections actually didn't have people smoking (I was surprised however to see so many women smoking in Hong Kong). It is also a place definitely catered to tourists.

On the Hong Kong island looking out to Kowloon.
After walking around for a bit, we had to go back near the church so that Loida could take a bus to the airport. I went and looked for a cheap place to spend the night.

The LDS church building at night. The second most expensive church building in the world (or so I was told).

The street right in front of the church. The church was conveniently across the street from the place I needed to go to get my visa.


After walking around for a long time and trying to avoid all the tourist traps, I finally realized that I would either have to stay in an expensive hotel, or just let one of the Indian guys show me a place. About every 30 seconds I got approached by an Indian man who would ask if I either wanted a watch or tailored suit. I just told them I wanted a place to stay and they hooked me up with the right guy.

This was the room I ended up staying in. Didn't need two beds, but they didn't have a single room. 

The place I stayed at was one of the many places in a large complex called the Chungking Mansions. I totally felt like I was living in a mansion.....  Right.... Basically the entire block was run by Indians. So... first Filipinos, then Indians... I never really felt like I was in China. The block had a very unique culture to it. People from everywhere. Seems that Indians and Pakistanis were the most common, followed by Africans, then Asians, then westerners. I had an interesting experience on one of my elevator rides. Here is the dialog:

Chinese lady to other Asian Couple (In Chinese): What part of mainland China are you from?
Asian Couple (In universal language): (Blank Stare)
Me (In English): She is asking what part of China you are from.
Asian Couple (in English): Oh, we are from South Korea.
Me (in Chinese): They are South Korean.
Chinese lady to other Asian Couple (In Chinese): Oh; my bad. I thought you were Chinese because of the way you look.

I didn't bother to translate that last part. The Chinese lady never actually looked at me; not sure if she realized that I was the only non-Asian in the elevator at the time. It was interesting being in a place so diverse.

After the first night, I went to get my visa renewed. After that I didn't do much of anything because I didn't really know what to do in Hong Kong (my company told me just a day prior that I would be going to Hong Kong, so I didn't really have time to get ready). I spent much of the day reading about Hong Kong and avoiding tourist traps. Oh. And looking for 7-11s. I bought a Slurpee from every single 7-11 I saw with a Slurpee machine (sadly, it seems that only about 35% of the 7-11s there had Slurpee machines).

The Hong Kong island.

Hong Kong has cool looking buildings.

More cool looking buildings.

Hong Kong and China flag. 

LDS church building.

Inside the church seemed much like the church would in Utah.


View from the church window.



No comments:

Post a Comment