2012/02/17

Traveling in China - Day 11 - Nanning's Night Market

We took the train from Pingxiang to our last destination, Nanning (南宁). The train ride was about 4 hours long and cost ¥30 ($4.75). When we arrived in Nanning, it was crowded and raining. I missed the small cities already. The first hotel we went to was quite a bit more than we were used to spending, so we ended up spending the next 45 minutes finding a hotel. Turns out that hotels just cost a lot more in bigger cities.


View Forbidden Fort in a larger map

When we got to Nanning and settled down, there was not anything left to do but eat and call it a night. After we ate dinner, we went to Nanning's night market.

NOTICE
First of all, I should note that I took all these pictures from Loida. She did a great job of taking pictures of all the food, so I asked if I could use these pictures.
I also want to give the same warning in this post as I did the last; that is, if you get squeamish when you see food that is not really food, you may not want to read past this point. There are many things here that even I would not eat.


These were little cake balls with cream in the middle. These were the only thing in this post that I actually ate.

Southern China has fantastic fruit. L-R Watermelon, passion fruit, mango, kiwi, dragon fruit

Sugar cane in bite size pieces for convenience. 

Coconut juice or sugar cane juice

Snails. Yum.

Takoyaki?

Looks like oysters

Yummers. Don't know what those things on the right are, but I bet they are delicious.

Baby Octopus are soooo cute!


OK. So the fruit actually does look good.

Making jiao zi (dumplings)

Steamed bao zi


Not sure what the appeal is here. I am pretty sure they don't actually eat this. Or do they?

Wasn't there a book about this?

Quoting the boy I tutor, "they will eat anything in southern China."

Fish heads fish heads, rolly polly fish heads



I really have no idea what this would taste like, but I have to admit, I am kind of impressed by the amount of meat on this thing. Most meat in China is mostly bone.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is crazy! And to finish your caption: "Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up. YUM!" =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Beka! I was wondering if anyone was going to get that reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barnes and Barnes rock! Those dogs actually made the fish heads look appetizing. Yum!

    ReplyDelete