2012/02/11

Traveling in China - Day 3 - Fun in Chongzuo (崇左)

The hotel we stayed in was not super fancy (well... ok, the key thing was pretty cool), but it least it provided a warm (private) shower and plenty of blankets. The bathroom still had a squatter, and it wasn't the cleanest (not too bad if you didn't look at the walls) but for what we payed, we were pretty happy. We all slept very well. In the morning I got up before everyone else and decided to go on an adventure in an attempt to find a delicious breakfast. I remember when I was in Taiwan that the breakfasts there were amazing! Since we were in southern China (much more like Taiwan I have been told) I fully expected to find some great breakfast food.


On my walk, I didn't see any street vendors that I expected to see. Sad. Finally I got to a place where people were eating breakfast. Went to the first place and all I could see were noodles. Boring. Went to the second place and it was the same. Since there were only two places that I could see I asked the second place if they had some noodles with eggs. They said no, then continued to say a bunch of things that they supposed I understood. Finally I just said I would have what everyone else was eating. Turns out that everyone in Guanxi eats rice noodles. Yep. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Rice noodles are what you get. I was pretty disappointed with mine.

I headed back to the hotel and eventually we all went out so that we could try again with the train tickets.

We got to the train station and waited in line. This time we had a Chinese person with us so it would go smoothly. The lady told us we had to come back after 3:00. Grr. More time to explore I suppose.

A bridge going over the river in the main part of the city of Chongzuo.
 We walked across the street to a park to see people doing the random various things they like to do.

Sadly, this image does not really capture the moment, but this man is "exercising." He is on a spinning disk rotating with his arms tucked in. Not sure what this is good for, but it certainly looks quite awesome. 
We went back to the train station and were able to get train tickets from Nanning to Zhengzhou. We got the bottom bunks which were a bit more expensive. (¥390 | $62)

A friendly reminder to not throw sugar cubes on the ground.
 After getting our tickets, we wandered the town to see the different stores.

In China, everything is copied. That includes restaurants like this KMC. Inside it even says it is "Finger Licking Good." The soft serve ice cream at these KMCs are only ¥ 2 | $.30 but they really aren't that great. Incidentally, we got ice cream at every KMC/city we went to. 

The phones here are really good. If you need something more powerful than a Nckia, you can always go for a Gogole phone. Of course, if you are willing to shell out the extra bucks, you can get an iPhceo,
After doing all the shopping we cared to do, we eventually went back to the student's house for dinner. More chicken bone and fungus stuff. Yay. We finished the day off playing Settlers of Catan then headed back to our Hotel.

Playing more Settlers of Catan. Board games are not at all common in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment