2012/06/04

Winning some nice shades




First of all, I might as well say that I don't wear sunglasses. Never have. Not really a fan of them. I look like a goober as it is, so I don't need the extra help that sunglasses seem to give me in that department. That being said, here is the story of how I won some (apparently) expensive sunglasses.





After Loida and I had finished shopping at Walmart, we exited the mall and found some sort of crazy event going on. There was a large display of sunglasses out and a small platform. A lady with a mic was saying a bunch of stuff... not really sure what, but when she noticed me, she started saying a bunch of stuff in my direction indicating that she wanted me to do something. We looked on for a bit trying to find out what was going on. Throughout the whole deal, there was a random guy who came up to us and just started taking pictures (I asked him to email me some which is how I have these now).

After watching for a bit, they had sunglasses models walk down the platform strutting their stuff. Boy did those sunglasses ever look good on them (I had no idea they were modelling the glasses until after it was done.... I don't really put two and two together very well).

When they were done, the lady with the mic had me go up to the platform. She wanted me to mimic the models and walk like they did. And she wanted a competition with other volunteers.

If should would have asked me beforehand, I would have let her know of my vast teaching experience and that people here don't volunteer for things, but she never asked me. There was one brave girl who wanted the free pair of sunglasses, so I now had some competition.


To the very left, you can see the girl I was competing against. In the photo you can tell she is just feeling sorry for me. To the right of her was the emcee lady with the mic. Happy that at least she got one person to volunteer, and a random white guy who didn't know what he was doing. That is obviously me in the middle unabashedly showing off my amazing naked ankles. To the right of me you can see Loida obviously showing her encouragement and support for me. She was not at all ashamed or embarrassed to be seen with me. I think she is just covering her mouth to cover a sneeze or something.


After we all strutted our stuff, the emcee asked for a vote via applause... when no one applauded I think she just said I won by default. (You can continue to see Loida showing her support).


Well, that was the first and last time I wore those glasses. I still have them though. Not sure what to do with a 300RMB ($47 USD) pair of glasses I don't like. It is now by far the most expensive article of clothing I own. Hmm. Looking at this picture though, I could probably stand to spend a bit more money on clothes.

2 comments:

  1. That is the funniest story I have heard in a long time. I got a good laugh out of it. Loida is so cute covering her mouth in the corner!! Oh, this is Kira and not mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right. You could stand to spend some money on clothes and get out in the sun more.

    ReplyDelete